We are fortunate to have an on-site laboratory with a full time Laboratory Technician. Our lab is open from 9.30am – 5pm Monday to Friday, and from 11am – 3pm on Saturdays. This allows us to process the majority of our samples in-house, quickly providing the vets with valuable information to enable diagnosis and monitoring of ongoing conditions.
- Analysis of blood samples:
- Haematology - to assess red and white blood cell parameters, an indication of health and immunity
- Biochemistry – useful in the assessment of organ function such as liver and kidneys
- Electrolytes – assessment of Sodium, Potassium and Magnesium levels
- Blood gas analysis
- Clotting profiles
- Canine and Feline Blood Typing
- Virus screening – including Canine Parvovirus and FeLV & FIV
- Urinalysis – samples can be assessed for evidence of diabetes, renal disease, bacterial urinary tract infection and crystals.
- Faecal analysis - diagnosis of faecal parasites and malabsorption problems
- Microscopy - to examine skin and hair samples
- Cytology –a useful diagnostic tool relating to the microscopic examination of cells for the investigation of clinical disorders
- Bacteriology – to enable culture and antibiotic sensitivity of organisms
We also offer a pre-anaesthetic screening to ensure your pet is in good health and suitable to undergo its procedure.
For dog breeders we offer a Premate blood test, which predicts the timing of ovulation, providing a guide as to when mating should occur.
When more specialised tests are required, samples may be sent to an external veterinary laboratory for analysis.